Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday


Good Friday is a hard day for me as a Christian.  It is the day I remember that my sins cost the world and ultimately my Savior a lot of pain.  Even though I usually remember this day rather quietly, the pain of it is with me.

I created this simple piece as I processed the pain of Good Friday.  I wanted to show the darkness of my sins and the pain that they cause.

The process I used is as follows:

1. I mixed Sunshine and Spicy Tomato Silks Acrylic Glazes and painted the entire piece of water color paper.  I let that layer dry.

2. I used a Stabilo black pencil to outline the image of the cross.  I decided to not make the cross a precisely lined image as the very point of the piece was my imperfection next to God's perfection.

3. I then used a palette knife to drizzle Golden Tar Gel all over the piece.  I let that dry.

4. Next, I used Golden Black Gesso and painted the entire piece except the cross.  I quickly wiped off the gesso from the parts of the piece where the tar gel was applied.  The effect allows the red and gold color of the base coat to come show up through the clear tar gel.  The students in my Mixed Media class said that it reminds them of blood in a special effects sort of way.

5. Finally, I used a damp baby wipe and Viva Decor Inca Gold and went over the cross portion to add highlights to that portion of the piece.

May you feel God's presence and grace with you today and always,
Tammy Dial Gray

6 comments:

  1. This is a very powerful piece and speaks to me today as I too remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece, and nice post! I hope your family has a nice Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter, Tammy! Your post brought tears to my eyes and your piece is stunning. I think it is a gift to be able to understand and feel pain in remembering just how much Christ endured for us because of his great love.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you very much!